Family says home a 'total loss' after Saturday morning fire

JOPPA, Md. - A two-alarm house fire displaced a family in Joppa Saturday morning.

Fire crews were called to the two-story home in the 800 block of Wiesser Court around 10:30am Saturday morning. Several fire companies responded including the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company, Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company, White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company and the Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department - Edgewood Station. When units arrived arrived smoke and fire were showing on the second  floor.

"We lost things that, you know, we're never, ever going to be able to replace. There's things money can't replace. There's things money can," said homeowner Jim Vanhorn.

Vanhorn grew up in the Wiesser Court home, and said beyond the boards now nailed to the doors and windows, are a lifetime of memories. He mentioned things like his wedding photos, his father's medals, and Christmas gifts his three daughters opened just a few weeks ago.

"My whole entire life. I've lived in that house my whole life, everything from my childhood, my father passed in 1991, everything that I own of his – gone. Forever, I can't get it back," he said.

Vanhorn described the damage as a total loss; he hopes to rebuild but said right now his main concern is another hardship that came just weeks before the fire.

"I was laid off from my job three weeks ago and I've been going on interviews, I lost my suit. All of my clothes. So it's just, it's... it's a nightmare," Vanhorn said.

He said the outpouring of support from friends and family is overwhelming. "It's just renewed my faith in people, to be hones," he said. "If there's anything good that's come from this, it's that. It's been amazing. I can't say enough about... I don't want to name specific names, but they know who they are. They have been there for us like you couldn't even believe."

Friends have created an on-line fundraiser to help the family with rebuilding costs. You can help by clicking here.

Extreme cold conditions made fighting the fire difficult and authorities called in a second alarm bringing units from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company and the Abingdon Fire Company.

An investigation found that one person was in the home when the fire started and called 911. The person was able to get out of the house safely.

One family was displaced and will be staying with relatives.

The State Fire Marshall estimates the damage to be about $250,000.

Print this article Back to Top