Towson gynecologist suspended following drug allegations, having inappropriate images

TOWSON, Md. - The Maryland Board of Physicians suspended the medical license of a Towson gynecologist after an investigation allegedly found he used and distributed drugs, had an affair with a patient and stored images of female genitalia on his mobile phone.

Follow ABC2 News on   Facebook  and   Twitter

In an Oct. 8 order by the board,  Dr. John Yacoub's medical license was suspended, saying that the "public health, safety or welfare imperatively requires emergency action."

Most recently, Yacoub leased office space at a pavilion at GBMC and had privileges at the hospital. Yacoub, however, was not an employee of GBMC, hospital officials confirmed. Prior to that, he worked at Saint Agnes Hospital.

According to the order, the state began its investigation in or around December 2012 after a local hospital (the order doesn't name any specific hospital) terminated him Nov. 28, 2012 for failing to comply with the facility's protocols regarding the procurement, storage and dispensation of prescription drugs.

A Saint Agnes spokeswoman confirmed that effective Nov. 28, 2012, Yacoub was no longer practicing or seeing patients as part of Seton Medical Group, a component of Saint Agnes Healthcare. Due to the need to protect privacy, however, it is the hospital's policy to not respond to any employment related questions.

Shortly before being terminated, one of Yacoub's staff members had taken photographs of large bottles of controlled dangerous substances in his office. The order revealed that Yacoub had ordered large quantities of drugs from a wholesaler, but did not have a dispensing permit.

The hospital terminated Yacoub after hospital officials could not find the drugs photographed by the staff member. Yacoub said the drugs "somehow disappeared," according to the order.

The board also required Yacoub to take two drug tests in June and August. In both cases, he tested positive for having used cocaine within the previous 90 days. However, Yacoub only admitted to using the drug once, on Dec. 31, 2012.

The order said the Drug Enforcement Administration raided Yacoub's home on Sept. 23. The raid uncovered prescription drug bottles with labels of multiple patients' names along with text messages that detailed drug use between him and a female patient he was having a sexual relationship with at the time.

The raid also uncovered a mobile phone of Yacoub that stores numerous images of female genitalia, most of which included a gloved hand touching or close to the genitalia. In at least two of the images, medical equipment is visible, according to the order.

According to the order, the female patient told DEA agents that Yacoub provided her with various controlled dangerous substances. Federal agents also discovered cocaine in the home.

Yacoub's suspension hearing with the state Board of Physicians is scheduled for Oct. 23.

GBMC officials said they were made aware of Yacoub's situation on Sept. 24. His privileges to operate or care for patients were suspended immediately and indefinitely, a hospital spokesman said.

"We are deeply concerned by these events," said GBMC's chief medical officer John Saunders Jr. in a statement. "GBMC is always evaluating our procedures and policies to ensure the utmost in the care and safety of our patients."

Print this article Back to Top