Mom of two killed in Rt. 295 crash

GLEN BURNIE, Md. (WMAR) - Roads were shut down for more than four hours as highway crews investigate a crash that killed a 41-year-old woman.

Below is a news release issued from Maryland State Police:

A mother is dead and her two children injured after her vehicle veered across a median and struck oncoming traffic this afternoon causing a multi-vehicle crash on Rt. 295 in Anne Arundel County.

The deceased driver is identified as Katherine K. Grooms, 41, of  Ft. Washington, Md.  She was transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center where she was pronounced dead.  Her children are identified as Stephen Bard, 9, and Gabril Bard, one month.  Both children were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital. 

A second driver injured is identified as Eric D. Hause, 50, of Severn, Md.  He was transported to Harbor Hospital where he is undergoing treatment.

 A third driver involved is identified as Jakin Rankin, 33, of Lanham, Md.  He did not claim to be injured, but his three children traveling with him, Elijah Rankin, 5, Serena Rankin, 8, and Javiah Rankin, 10, were taken to St. Agnes Hospital.   

Shortly after 3:00 p.m. today, troopers from the Glen Burnie Barrack were dispatched to a crash site on northbound Rt. 295 near I-895.  Due to the severity of the crash, troopers called for assistance from the State Police CRASH Team.

The preliminary investigation indicates Grooms was driving a 2008 Honda Accord southbound on Rt. 295 when, for unknown reasons, her car veered across the grass median and entered the fast lane of northbound Rt. 295. 

Hause was driving a 2010 Freight Line box truck northbound on Rt. 295 when the Honda entered his lane.  The Honda and box truck struck head-on.  The box truck rolled onto its side and struck a northbound 2004 Buick driven by Rankin. 

Two other vehicles traveling northbound were struck by debris from the initial crash.  Their drivers were not injured and those two vehicles were eventually driven from the scene.    

The investigation indicates Grooms was wearing a seatbelt, as was her nine-year-old son.  The infant was secured in a child safety seat.  Investigators have been unable to determine why Grooms' vehicle crossed the median into oncoming traffic. 

Due to the size of the crash scene, all regular travel lanes of Rt. 295 had to be closed for about four hours.  Traffic was able to pass by the scene on the shoulder of the road. 

State Highway Administration personnel responded to the scene to set up detours and assist with sign boards at the scene to channel traffic.  All lanes were reopened shortly after 7:00 p.m. 

The investigation is continuing.

Print this article Back to Top