Man convicted in 5-day shooting spree

A Baltimore City Circuit Court jury convicted Darnell Sewell, 25, Thursday of six counts of first-degree attempted murder for a series of attacks along the border between Brooklyn and Curtis Bay during a five-day span in the summer of 2011.

Sewell started what prosecutors described as a "senseless shooting spree" shortly before midnight on July 9, 2011, repeatedly firing a 9 mm handgun into the air while standing outside of the crowded Brooklyn Bar in the 700 block of East Patapsco Avenue. During the shooting, the tavern's owner led his patrons away from the shooter and the glass-lined front façade to the back of the bar for their safety.

Less than two hours later, and just three blocks away, Sewell opened fire in the 3800 block of 8th Street, shooting multiple rounds of 9 mm ammunition and striking a male who was walking with his fiancée to a nearby convenience store. Then, a half hour later and a half mile away, Sewell targeted a moving car, firing at least 10 shots at the three people inside, hitting one of them, the driver, twice in the right hand .

The final incident took place on July 14, 2011. While walking with two others in the 1000 block of East Patapsco Avenue, Sewell shot a pedestrian in the chest. The victim fled the area, got on a bus, and went to a nearby hospital for treatment. He survived.

The same gun was used in all four shootings, according to a ballistics analysis, and all four incidents took place within a one-mile area of South Baltimore.

In a statement to police, Sewell explained that the evening of July 9, 2011, started with an internal dispute among members of the Bloods, a gang with which he claimed to be formerly associated. However, he denied involvement in any of the four shootings.

In addition to all six counts of attempted first-degree murder, the jury also convicted Sewell of multiple counts of possessing a firearm despite having a previous disqualifying conviction and reckless endangerment. Scheduled for sentencing on August 2, 2013, Sewell faces a maximum sentence of more than six life terms.

The Major Investigations Unit (MIU) of the Baltimore State's Attorney's Office prosecuted the case.

"On a different night, under different stars, those two nights of terror end not in a six-day trial but in a parade of six funerals," Thiru Vignarajah, MIU's chief, said during closing arguments. "You don't get credit for missing."

Print this article Back to Top