BALTIMORE (WMAR) - Inside federal court Thursday morning, the United States argued one of the highest ranking members of the now defunct Gun Trace Task Force (GTTF), a rogue gun unit inside the Baltimore Police Department, should stay in jail.
Prosecutors argued Sergeant Thomas Allers committed nine armed robberies in two years.
According to the indictment Allers tied up the homeowners, robbed victims in front of children and, as the supervisor of the unit, the prosecutor said, “He greenlighted the crime spree.”
But a four page suicide note authorities found in the search of his Baltimore County home helped build their case for detention.
In it prosecutors say Allers threatened the life of himself and his wife.
Despite an explanation from his attorney Gary Proctor, the judge denied his release.
"Obviously we're disappointed in the court's ruling, beyond that I have no further comment to make. This case will be resolved and tried in a court of law as it should be," Proctor said.
Allers indicated he would choose a jury trial.
Immediately after the detention hearing, he pleaded not guilty to all nine counts but the government says they have hard evidence including electronic surveillance and witness statements from both victims and participants of those robberies
In the indictment the participants are identified by initials of M. G. and J. R.
Those initials match the names of previously indicted Detectives Momodu Gondo and Jemell Rayam, both of which are scheduled to possibly reverse their pleas from not guilty to guilty in the fall.
Allers was supported in court by plenty of family including his wife.
They walked out of the courthouse, some holding hands but all ignoring the cameras and our questions.
Proctor said his client knew these charges were coming since April and has been bracing for this day in court.
"He's obviously…this would be draining on anyone. Especially someone who is sworn to protect and serve his whole life so, is he struggling? Of course he is but beyond that I have nothing further to add," Proctor said.
Of the eight officers accused in this scandal so far, two have changed their plea to guilty and two more are scheduled to be re-arraigned in the fall.
Baltimore Police say Sgt. Thomas Allers had been already been suspended from the force since March 1st when the other seven officers were indicted and arrested as part of this scandal.