Baltimore, MD - Mike Masco
Brush fires continue to pop up across the state at this hour. The combination between low humidity and a brisk westerly wind between 15-20 mph tomorrow could spark a few brush fires across Maryland. Afternoon minimum relative humidity percentages are expected in the low to mid 20s. Fuel moisture is marginally dry this afternoon however, dry enough to initiate a few isolated brush fires.
Open burning of any type is considered very hazardous this time of year. Accidental escaped debris burns are the number one cause of wildfires.
Brush Fire Prevention Tips:
- Get Some Space! ~ Have at least 30 ft. of space surrounding your home that is free of flammable materials
- Prune shrubs and cut back tree branches, especially within 15 ft. of your chimney
- Remove all dead plant materials from around your home including dead leaves, stacked firewood and dry grass
- Plant fire-resistant vegetation that is healthy and green throughout the year
- Prune all trees six to ten feet from the ground
- Keep your roof and gutters free of leaves and pine straw
- Keep your lawn mowed regularly and dispose of cuttings and debris promptly
- Make sure your driveway is at least 14 ft. wide to accommodate firefighting apparatus