BALTIMORE - Several roads near Pimlico Race Course will be shut down, as preparations get underway for Baltimore's 137th Preakness Stakes.
Gates to Pimlico will open at 8a.m. Saturday, but traffic modifications will begin Thursday night.
Rogers Avenue will be closed from Winner Avenue to Northern Parkway, starting at 10p.m. Thursday through Saturday at 9p.m.
On Preakness Day, from 5:30p.m. until 8p.m., the southbound Jones Falls Expressway exit ramp to eastbound Northern Parkway will be redirected to the Cold Spring Lane exits. Cylburn Avenue will also be closed from Northern Parkway to Greenspring Avenue.
From 3p.m. until 8p.m., Pimlico Road will be closed from Northern Parkway to Ken Oak Road. Only one northbound lane will operate from Ken Oak Road to Greenspring Avenue.
Many of the roads surrounding Pimlico, will be reduced to one lane from 10p.m. Thursday through 8p.m. Saturday. They include:
- Rogers Avenue – One way westbound from Winner to Park Heights Avenues
- Winner Avenue – One way northbound from Hayward to Rogers Avenues
- Manhattan Avenue – One way eastbound from Winner Avenue to Pimlico Road
- Whitney Avenue – One way westbound from Pimlico Road to Key Avenue
- Sulgrave Avenue – One way westbound from Stuart to Highgate Avenues
- Rockwood Avenue – One way eastbound from Key to Berkeley Avenues
- Simmonds Avenue – One way southbound from Rockwood to Manhattan Avenues
- Woodcrest Avenue – One way northbound from Northern Parkway to Rockwood Avenue
- Merville Avenue – One way southbound from Glen Avenue to Northern Parkway
- Berkeley Avenue – One way northbound from Whitney to Glen Avenues
- Stuart Avenue – One way northbound from Northern Parkway to Sulgrave Avenue
- Rusk Avenue – One way southbound from Whitney Avenue to Northern Parkway
On Saturday, from 7a.m. until 3p.m., Hayward Avenue will be reduced to one eastbound lane at Park Heights Avenue.
The Department of Transportation advises anyone attending Preakness to park in commercial lots and avoid neighborhoods. They also strongly encourage you to carpool and use public transportation.
Parking restrictions will be enforced. Any vehicles parked in violation will be towed to Cylburn Avenue, just south of Northern Parkway. If you have any parking questions on Saturday, call 311.