Woman, dog killed in accidental fire

INDIAN HEAD, Md. (WMAR) -  

A 66-year-old woman and her dog are dead after an accidental fire broke out in their Indian Head home. 
 
The fire began at about 10:15 p.m. Tuesday in the 5300 block of Stuckey Road in Geraldine Key's first floor bedroom in the one and a half story family home when combustible items came into contact with an operating kerosene heater. 
 
Investigators have determined that Key was not able to escape the effects of the fire. 
 
Members of the Key family attempted to enter the bedroom but were stopped by excessive heat and smoke. Seven member of the family, 3 adults and 4 children, escaped the blaze.
 
The smoke alarm located outside the bedroom activated when the family opened the door and tried to enter the room. 
 
First arriving units found heavy fire consuming the home upon arrival and were not able to get inside the home. 
 
One firefighter was taken to a local hospital with burns to his wrist and arm. He has since been released from the hospital. 
 
A male member of the family also experienced chest pains during the fire, and taken to a local hospital for evaluation. 
 
The preliminary report suggests Key succumbed to smoke inhalation and thermal burn injuries received during the blaze. 
 
Damages are estimated at $80,000. 
Print this article Back to Top

Comments