Transportation Security Administration agents found a record high number of guns at airport safety checkpoints across the country, according to statistics posted to the administration's blog .
Officers found 1,813 firearms in carry-on bags at airport checkpoints in 2013, up from 1,556 guns that were discovered in 2012 (16.5 percent increase). A TSA spokeswoman said 1, 477 of the 1,813 guns found in 2013 were loaded.
TSA agents screened 638,705,790 passengers in total in 2013.
Guns collected at Maryland/Washington D.C. airports:
Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (13)
Washington Dulles International Airport (8)
Ronald Regan Washington National Airport (6)
Top 5 airports for gun catches in 2013:
5) Denver International Airport (51)
4) Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (66)
3) George Bush Intercontinental National Airport – Houston (68)
2) Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (96)
1) Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (111)
Go to The TSA Blog for a series of notable gun catches as well as instances of other unsafe items airline passengers attempted to get onboard.