BALTIMORE (WMAR) - The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene announced that they have identified a third Marylander who developed meningitis after receiving an injection in September.
A multi-state investigation is being conducted on a link between spinal injections and meningitis by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration, and several state agencies.
DHMH says that the third person infected in the state received an injection of methylprednisolone acetate that was made and distributed by the New England Compounding Center.
There has already been one death associated with this investigation in Maryland, but DHMH has not released any case-specific information.
Health officials urge anyone who is experiencing new or worsening symptoms of meningitis and has received an injection from any of the Maryland facilities listed below to contact their doctors.
The healthcare facilities that have received the affected product are:
- Berlin Interventional Pain Management, Berlin, MD
- Box Hill Surgery Center, Abingdon, MD
- Greenspring Surgery Center, Baltimore, MD
- Harford County Ambulatory Surgery Center, Edgewood, MD
- Maryland Pain Specialists, Towson, MD
- SurgCenter of Bel Air, Bel Air, MD
- Zion Ambulatory Center, Baltimore, MD