Fire Marshal's Office: Fatal Frostburg fire was 'likely accidental'

FROSTBURG, Md. - A house fire that killed a Frostburg State student on Valentine’s Day was likely accidental, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

While the source of the fire has yet to be identified, the fire marshal’s office said the blaze started in the first-floor kitchen and eventually claimed the life of Lateef Gazal, of Bowie.

A preliminary report by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner revealed the cause of Gazal's death to be the result of thermal burn injuries and smoke inhalation. Gazal was one of four people who lived in the home.

Two escaped with minor injuries and the third was not at home at the time of the fire.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments