Once again, a Maryland county has landed on the list of America's Richest Counties, according to Forbes magazine. Howard County is ranked 5 out of the top 10.
The average median household income in Howard County is $103,273. Forbes cites its location between Washington D.C. and Baltimore and its excellent school system as reasons why wealthy families move there.
The number one richest county in America is Loudoun County, Virginia. It is one of four counties in Virginia that made the top 10 list and all are concentrated around Washington D.C. Much of the wealth in these Northern Virginia counties comes from government contracts and spending, according to Forbes.
Here are the top 10 richest counties with their median household income:
1. Loudoun County, Virginia - $115,574
2. Falls Church City*, Virginia - $114,409
3. Fairfax County, Virginia - $105,416
4. Los Alamos County, New Mexico - $103,643
5. Howard County, Maryland - $103,273
6. Hunterdon County, New Jersey - $100,980
7. Douglas County, Colorado - $99,198
8. Fairfax City*, Virginia - $97,900
9. Somerset County, New Jersey - $97,440
10. Morris County, New Jersey - $96,747