Man, 60, critically burned smoking in hospital bed
11:36 AM, Jan 10, 2016
6:29 AM, Jan 11, 2016
A 60 year-old man is in critical condition after lighting a cigarette in his hospital bed in Havre De Grace Saturday night.
Firefighters responded to Harford Memorial Hospital around 10:45 Saturday for an automatic alarm. When firefighters arrived hospital staff said they pulled an alarm after hearing a patient scream “fire” in room 302. Nursing staff found the patient in the room having trouble breathing and a small fire consisting of an oxygen mask and a blanket. Staff was able to put out the fire and treat the patient.
Fire investigators determined the patient, identified as Steven K. Bock, lit a cigarette which set his oxygen mask and bedding on fire.
Bock was the only person in the room and was later transferred to the Johns Hopkins Bayview Center in critical condition.