Copperhead snake bites boy scout at camp

It is what experts say a startled wild animal will do.
 
"It got defensive, got it defense up and it attacked," Eric Chase, director of support services and chief financial officer for Baltimore Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, said.
 
Chase said victim in this case was a 14-year-old boy scout. Leaders at Camp Saffran said he was on his way to use the bathroom around 9:30 p.m. Monday. The boy didn't realize a copperhead snake was inside.
 
"Once it was identified, he identified it to his leader, our emergency team responded to him within five minutes of the incident. An ambulance was on site within 10. He was at the hospital within 20 and in the emergency room being treated and my understanding is he is still there under observation," Chase said.
 
The scout will not be finishing out the rest of his week-long stay once he's released from the hospital.
 
Chase said the boy's age and size was a benefit in this scenario. 
 
"It would have to be a small child for it really to be fatal. There are not a lot of deaths with venomous snakes and it is the response time," Chase said. 
 
According to the Department of Natural Resources, only two of the 27 types of snakes in Maryland are venomous: the copperhead and the timber rattlesnake.
 
There was another case just one day earlier in Frederick County. A copperhead snake bit a man as he hiked through a state park.
 
As both victims continue to recover, Chase says the key is education.
 
"We tell our kids just back away from the animal. They don't want anything to do with you and the same thing is, they don't want anything to do with us," he said.
Print this article Back to Top

Comments