Boy charged with calling in bomb threat at North East Middle School

NORTH EAST, Md. - Maryland State Police have charged a 14-year-old boy with calling in a bomb threat that forced an evacuation of a Cecil County middle school Tuesday morning.

The 14-year-old was charged with making a false statement involving a destructive device--a felony-- and disruption of school operations. The 14-year-old was detained and handed over to the Department of Juvenile Services. 

According to Cecil County Public Schools, all students and staff at North East Middle School were removed from the building and taken to North East High School. The suspect isa student, although it is unclear which school he attended. 

Kelly Keeton, spokesperson for the school system, says the threat came in at 8:45 a.m.  Evacuations started at 10:30 am.  

Parents were told to go to North East High School to sign out and pick up their children. Students who couldn't be picked up from North East High School were taken home from the high school at normal dismissal time.

Keeton told ABC2 News four students from the middle school were taken into custody and questioned, earlier in the day. Maryland State Police could not confirm those claims. 

Law enforcement officials did say however there were multiple persons of interest identified.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments