Residents sickened by improper use of generators

BALTIMORE - Baltimore City officials are reminding residents that have lost power that portable generators should only be used outside and away from windows or vents. Never use generators inside of homes, garages, basements or any enclosed area.

The warning comes on the heels of several near tragedies in Prince George's County

Prince George's County fire officials say residents of two homes were sickened by fumes caused by generators and a fire was started in a third home by improper use of a generator.

Department spokesman Mark Brady says about 9 a.m. Sunday, firefighters went to a home and removed a family a five that were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes from a generator placed too close to a fireplace vent on the house's exterior wall. The five were taken to hospitals.

Brady says Saturday night, a resident put a generator on a front porch near an open door and CO fumes sickened the resident, who was treated by paramedics.

Also Saturday night, a generator placed too close to a house ignited a fire. There were no injuries, but damage was extensive.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments