BALTIMORE - Making your way through downtown Baltimore on Tuesday may be a little tricky after the city announced several road closures and traffic restrictions for their New Year's Eve Spectacular.
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation says commercial vehicles will not be allowed downtown near the Inner Harbor. The restriction will be in effect from 2:00 p.m. on New Year's Eve until 2:00 a.m. the next day.
There is a long list of lane closures, road closures, and parking restrictions that will also be in effect.
The Department of Transportation is urging drivers to pay attention because the following restrictions will be "strictly enforced."
Commercial vehicle restrictions:
- Fayette Street from Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard (MLK) to President Street (no commercial vehicles will be allowed to travel on or south of Fayette Street)
- President Street from Aliceanna to Fayette Streets (no commercial vehicles will be allowed to travel on or west of President Street)
- Light Street from Pratt Street to Key Highway
- Key Highway from Light to McComas Streets
- Hanover Street from McComas to Montgomery Streets (no commercial vehicles will be allowed on or north of McComas Street, including Hanover Street)
- Pratt and Lombard Streets from Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard to President Street
- I-395 at the Martin Luther King, Jr. split to Pratt Street (no commercial vehicles will be permitted on I-395)
The following streets will be closed from 11:00 p.m. on Tuesday until the end of the event:
- Pratt Street will be closed at Charles Street - Pratt Street traffic will be diverted onto northbound Charles Street to continue east on Baltimore Street.
- Lombard Street will be closed at President Street - Westbound Lombard Street traffic will be diverted north at President Street to continue west on Fayette Street.
- Northbound I-395 traffic at Conway Street will be detoured north on Howard Street. No access will be allowed onto eastbound Conway Street.
- Southbound Light Street at Lombard Street - Southbound Light Street traffic will be diverted onto Lombard Street to continue south on Sharp Street.
- Northbound Light Street at Lee Street - Northbound Light Street traffic will be diverted onto Lee Street to continue north on Charles Street.
The following lane closures are designated for emergency vehicles from 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday until the end of the event:
- South side of Pratt Street from Greene to President Streets
- North side of Lombard Street from President to Greene Streets
- West side of Charles Street from Conway to Fayette Streets
- West side of Light Street from Fayette to Conway Streets
The following parking restrictions will be in effect from 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday until 3:00 a.m. on New Year's Day:
- Gay Street from Pratt to Fayette Streets
- Calvert Street from Pratt to Fayette Streets
- Baltimore Street from Charles to Gay Streets
- South side of Key Highway from Light to William Streets
- All designated emergency vehicle lanes
Transportation officials say people driving in the downtown area should look out for pedestrians attending new year's eve festivities.
The Charm City Circulator will be operating with extended hours until 1:00 a.m.