BALTIMORE - Investigators with the Baltimore Fire Department say they have determined a cause in a fire that killed five people and injured firefighters last month.
Fire investigators, along with Baltimore Police Department arson detectives, say the cause was combustible materials placed too close to a heat source – a furnace to be exact.
The fire on Denwood Avenue in Northeast Baltimore killed a grandmother and her four grandchildren.
The Baltimore Fire Department is using the finding of the cause of the fire to remind citizens to practice "positive fire safety behaviors" at home.
1) Be sure to have working smoke alarms
2) Have a home escape plan
3) Keep ordinary combustible materials at least three feet heat producing appliances
4) Never store gasoline and other flammable materials inside your home
Officials say if you are in need of a working smoke alarm, you can call 311.