BALTIMORE - A professor trying to mail bacteria at a downtown UPS store caused a Hazmat situation Thursday afternoon.
Fire officials said the professor was trying to ship non-hazardous bacteria packed in a mixture of cold and dry ice when it exploded at the UPS store in the 200 block of E. Lombard Street. No injuries were reported.
Rush hour traffic was briefly snarled during the emergency response and investigation
The police bomb squad determined there was no threat to the community. The Hazmat team was also called to the scene.
The scene cleared around 6:40 p.m. and the UPS Store reopened to customers.