BALTIMORE - Baltimore City firefighters were back in a south Baltimore neighborhood that was the scene of deadly fire last weekend.
Chief Niles Ford and his department knocked on doors and offered to install smoke alarms to hopefully prevent more fire deaths in the area.
A person died in a blaze in the early hours of Saturday, May 4 in the 500 block of South Caton Avenue.
The sweep is part of various efforts by the city to reduce fire deaths including fulfilling 311 requests for free smoke alarms and targeted visits to certain addresses.
"For most of the fatal fires in Baltimore this year, our investigators found that no smoke alarms were installed in the homes," said Chief Ford. "We are always looking for new and innovative ways to connect with residents and improving the safety of their homes."
Beginning last year, state law requires that by January 1, 2018 a minimum of one smoke alarm be installed on every level of a home. Battery operated smoke alarms remain acceptable, but the law requires that the alarms be tamper proof, powered by long-life batteries and possess hush button features to discourage unsafe removal.