BALTIMORE (WMAR) - A Code Blue cold weather alert has been declared for Friday in Baltimore City for an impending extended drop in temperature and high winds.
Baltimore City Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot says the cold temperatures are a potential danger to health.
The Code Blue alert extends hours at emergency shelters, and emergency workers will be outreaching to residents who might be considered vulnerable.
The cold weather alert is expected to be in effect through Saturday morning.
ABC2 is working for you with tips from the Baltimore City Health Department on how to stay safe in cold weather conditions.
- Wear multiple layers of loose-fitting clothing.
- Always wear a head covering, like a hat and/or scarf, when outdoors.
- Keep space heaters and candles away from flammable materials, such as curtains, furniture and loose clothing.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Check on those who are elderly and/or chronically ill.
- Provide appropriate shelter for domestic animals.