BALTIMORE - Approximately one-hundred Occupy Baltimore protesters remained in downtown Baltimore early Wednesday morning after some city officials wanted them to leave near the plaza near the Inner Harbor.
ABC2 News had a crew there until 12:30am Wednesday morning. It was estimated that the crowd was cut in half from 100 to 200 earlier in the day on Tuesday.
The Parks and Recreation Department sent a draft proposal to the protesters, requesting that only two people be allowed to stay overnight, in only one tent.
The protesters have been in the square for three weeks – they say Wall Street and major corporations have too much power, and they're calling for change.
Seven-year-old Apollo Johnson of Northeast Baltimore addressed the crowd on Tuesday night. "We should, once we have some money, we should let some money go and let other people have some money," he said.
Also Tuesday organizers held their ‘general assembly' meeting, as they have done each night of the protest. "The (Rec and Parks) statement that we got was listed as a working draft. So let's treat it as a draft, and see whether or not there are things in there we want to revise, whether there are things in there we want to acquiesce to, and let's see how we can move forward," said Kate Khatib of Occupy Baltimore.
The protesters voted to continue their dialogue with the Rec and Parks Department. A representative is expected to visit McKeldin Square on Wednesday.
City police say they have no plans to enforce the request from the Rec and Parks department, but the protesters aren't taking any chances. They're being given the phone number for the movement's attorneys, in case they're arrested.
"If you're planning on spending the night it's probably a good idea to write that on your arm or somewhere else where it would be visible, or memorize it," said a man who identified himself as Paul, a member of Occupy Baltimore's legal committee. "We just don't know what's going to happen, so we're taking all the precautions that we can."