Wal-Mart evacuated due to carbon monoxide leak

LAUREL, Md. - Anne Arundel County fire officials say more than 250 people were evacuated from a Wal-Mart in Laurel because of a carbon monoxide leak.

The fire department says firefighters got an unrelated call about an injured employee Sunday morning when they detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide. All customers and employees were escorted out of the store.

A fire department spokesman says a malfunctioning heating unit caused the leak.

No one was believed to have been harmed by the CO leak. The injured employee was taken to a hospital.

CO is an odorless, colorless gas that can be fatal in large concentrations.

 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments