House fire sparked by hoverboard forces 4 people from home
1:04 PM, Mar 14, 2016
6:05 AM, Mar 15, 2016
Four people were forced out of their home after a hoverboard caught fire to a house in Shady Side over the weekend.
Shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday, Anne Arundel County firefighters were called to a fire in the 1500 block of Lincoln Drive.
The first firefighters arrived to find the fire had already been extinguished. Crews identified the cause of the fire as a hoverboard that appeared to have overheated while charging, according to the fire department.
“These are fairly new to the mass market and there isn’t a lot we know about them. The best advice we can offer is to read all manufacturer’s guidelines - particularly those that apply to charging hover boards - and to follow some additional fire safety guidelines,” Lorraine Carli, NFPA’s vice president of Outreach and Advocac, said in a release.
The NFPA issued the following tips for hoverboard safety:
Choose a device with the seal of an independent testing laboratory.
Read and follow all manufacturer directions. If you do not understand the directions, ask for help.
An adult should be responsible for charging the hover board.
Do not leave a charging hover board unattended.
Never leave the hover board plugged in overnight.
Only use the charging cord that came with the hover board.
Stop using your hover board if it overheats.
Extreme hot or cold temperature can hurt the battery.
Be on the lookout for product updates from manufacturers and safety groups.
Many airlines have banned hover boards. If you plan to fly with a hover board, be sure to check with your air carrier.
When riding in a car, keep the hover board where you can see it in case it shows signs of a problem.