Glen Burnie man's death ruled a suicide by deadly chemicals

GLEN BURNIE, Md. - The death of a 31-year-old Glen Burnie man inside his apartment has been ruled a suicide Hydrogen Sulfide poisoning, according to the Office of Chief Medical Examiner.

Emergency responders were dispatched Tuesday to the man’s apartment in the 6600 block of Shelly Road in Glen Burnie at about 4 p.m. for reports of a suspicious odor.

READ MORE | Man dies from hazardous materials, apartment building evacuated

Two apartment residents had to be taken to the hospital for respiratory distress and high blood pressure, according to the release. Both are expected to survive.  

“The first arriving unit on the scene immediately recognized that the odor was not natural gas but was a sulfur smell,” according to a release.

The apartment building and the surrounding units in the Burwood Garden Apartments were evacuated for safety. About 20 residents were displaced overnight.

Rescue crews found a handwritten note on the man’s door that read “Danger! Requires hazamat [sic] suit!!.” Firefighters found the man dead on his bathroom floor.

“The Hazardous Materials Team arrived and found lethal levels of Hydrogen Cyanide and Hydrogen Sulfide gas in the bathroom and apartment of origin and dangerous readings in other areas of the building,” the release states. “The team mitigated the hazard in the bathroom and began ventilating the building. After several hours of ventilation the levels had not reached safe levels and it was determined the building could not be reoccupied at that time.”

The Hazardous Materials Team returned to the apartment Wednesday morning and determined that the hazardous odor had dissipated.  

Print this article Back to Top

Stay Informed