Fires displace Anne Arundel Co families

Man suffers minor burn injuries

ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, Md (WMAR) - Two families are without homes after their houses go up in flames Saturday afternoon.

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department explains the first fire happened in the 600 block of Myers Court in Severn.

First responders reported heavy fire in the back of the house and instantly requested additional units.

Two adults were home at the time, but it would be a 51-year-old man who was burned trying to escape.

Fire officials say the victim's injuries are minor and non life-threatening.  The cause of the fire is determined to be illegal fireworks.

The Red Cross is aware of the fire and assisting the family.

Minutes later, the fire department received calls for a second in Crofton. 

Firefighters responded to a home in the 2300 block of Kezey Court and reported heavy smoke upon arrival.

There were three adults and a child home at the time, and fire crews say they managed to escape without injury.

Fire officials say smoke detectors alerted the family to get out of the house and are possibly credited with saving their lives.

The blaze started on a third floor deck in the back of the house that extended to the roof.

The cause of the fire started from, what investigators are calling, discarded smoking materials - or cigarettes - on the deck.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments