Class action lawsuit filed following carbon monoxide leak at Linthicum hotel

LINTHICUM, Md. - Less than a week after nearly a dozen people were hospitalized following a carbon monoxide leak at the Westin BWI, a class action lawsuit has been filed against the operators of the Linthicum hotel.

Attorney Don Discepolo filed the lawsuit on behalf of all the guests who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning during the leak, which took place over Valentine’s Day weekend

Among those named as plantiffs in the suit is Merletha McKisset, who along with the others is seeking $75,000 each in compensatory damages. The suit also faults the hotel for negligence.

Discepolo said firefighters reported carbon monoxide levels of more than 700 parts per million, a dangerous high level considering firefighters are concerned over levels beyond 35 parts per million.

“When they offer a room to rent, they have a duty to make sure that the hotel is safe,” Discepolo said in a statement. In this situation, we believe they breached that duty because they weren’t taking care of the venting system in the laundry room [where the CO leak began].”

The Westin did not have carbon monoxide detectors, which is only required in Maryland hotels built in 2013 and beyond. Some state legislators are exploring emergency legislation to require detectors in all hotels.

McKisett said she checked out of the hotel before firefighters arrived and took herself to the hospital.

“We all could have been dead,” McKisett said in a statement. “Nothing but the grace of God.”

Hotel officials have not yet returned a request for comment from ABC2 News.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments