Carbon monoxide shutters hotel

LINTHICUM, Md. - A hotel near BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport remains closed Monday after a carbon monoxide leak forced an evacuation Sunday afternoon.

Paramedics arrived at the Westin Hotel at 1110 Old Elkridge Road around 1:30 p.m. to treat an employee who felt faint. While helping the employee, paramedics became aware of a possible carbon monoxide leak. They immediately called in additional crews and evacuated the hotel.

Responding units found high levels of carbon monoxide on all floors of the hotel. Some levels were over 700 parts per million—high enough to cause serious injury within two hours of exposure.

Medics took nine people to the hospital, four of them to the hyperbaric chamber at Shock Trauma.

Firefighters ventilated the building and turned it back over to hotel management around 5:30 p.m.

The carbon monoxide leak is the second one Anne Arundel County firefighters have responded to recently. On January 5, a Wal Mart in Maryland City was evacuated due to high carbon monoxide levels. A faulty HVAC system was found to be the source of leak.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments