The New Jersey woman suing a former Orioles pitcher in a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit has issued a statement related to the case.
She is identified only as Jane Doe in court records obtained by ABC2 investigators, but the woman suing Alfredo Simon says "I have a name, a face and a family."
Filings from the lawsuit claim the woman, who was 27-years-old in April 2013, was attacked by Simon in a Washington, D.C. hotel room. She had met the current Cincinnati Reds player at a nightclub earlier in the evening.
According to her statement, the woman says she was previously a counselor for at-risk youth in the nation's capital. She says, "I never went back to that job after April 27, 2013. I sometimes feel like this man stole my sense of purpose in life."
Simon's attorney, Jack Quinn, told our sister station WCPO the claims against his client are totally baseless. He did not return a call for comment from ABC2 investigators.
The woman's attorney, Steve Kelly, from Silverman, Thompson, Slutkin & White, says his client had to move home to her parents' home in New Jersey after the attack. In her statement, she says, "I am in therapy now trying to work through the pain, but I am still angry. While the physical injuries have healed, I will never be the same."