BALTIMORE - Did you know that three children drown each day? Pools are opening up this Memorial Day weekend, here are some tips to keep your kids safe while swimming this summer.
- Use devices approved by the U.S. Coast Guard that help the children's heads stay above water.
- S wim toys shouldn't be used as flotation devices.
- If you have any concern about their drowning risk, put a flotation device on them
- Have your guard up and don't leave your children unnattended.
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Use swim areas with lifeguards present
- Enroll your children in swimming classes
Protecting your skin
- Use sunshirts with built-in SPF (in addition to using SPF)
- Get your children to wear wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses
- Wear a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses yourself, it may help your children be more willing to wear them, too