BELLEVILLE, Mich. (WXYZ) - A Belleville family who came home to a house full of smoke has a warning about using a specific type of battery in video game controllers.
Missy Fuson says a Wii remote controller exploded on her couch, sending plastic bits flying everywhere.
She thinks the controller exploded because her family had replaced the alkaline batteries with lithium batteries.
The manual warns against using lithium batteries, but Fuson says the warning is hard to find and doesn't spell out the possible consequences for using lithium batteries.
She believes more needs to be done to get the word out about the danger.
"I feel responsible as a mom. I need to tell other parents that during Christmas, we need to be reading all the manuals for every toy and make sure that we fully understand what we're putting in our children's hands because the consequences could be deadly," Fuson said.
Nintendo offered to replace Fuson's equipment at a discounted price.