Suspect in custody in stabbing of teen boxing champion

Victim's father criticizes intial police response

BALTIMORE - Police in Baltimore City have a man in custody, in connection with the murder of a 17-year-old in Park Heights.

Friends and family members say Ronald Gibbs was a strong student at Carver Vo-Tech. He was a champion boxer, an aspiring poet, and they say he also had dreams of going to college to study photography.

‘The most I ever had to say to him was clean his room. All around good kid,’ said his father, who is also named Ronald Gibbs.

In and out of the ring, friends called him 'Rock.’ His coach at the Upton Boxing Center in West Baltimore said his style was unorthodox, but effective.

‘He was one of the hardest working boxers that we had in here, as far as when it comes to getting in shape, doing what you're supposed to do he just wanted the best. And follow what the coaches wanted him to do,’ said the coach, Calvin Ford.

Tyrieshia Douglas is one of the best female boxers in the country, and a close friend of Ronald Gibbs. ‘We are all a family and he wouldn't want anybody in this gym to stop so, every fight that I have I'm dedicating it to him,’ she said.

Early Sunday morning, police say Gibbs was with his sister at their house in Park Heights, when a man came to the home and began arguing with her.

Police say Gibbs tried to defend his sister, and was stabbed several times.
He died at Sinai Hospital.

‘I actually grabbed to hug him, and when I went to scoop him up to hug him, he actually hugged me back,’ his father said.

But Gibbs' father also said he and others were prevented from helping -- by the first officers who arrived at the scene. ‘The police officers who came from the Northwestern Police (district), and the ambulance drivers, they acted like they didn't care about my son laying on the ground. Like he was just expendable,’ he said.

On Tuesday police arrested 30-year-old Terrance Sims; he faces charges of first degree murder and assault. He's being held without bail at Central Booking.

A spokesman for the Baltimore City Police Department told ABC-2 News the first priority of officers at a crime scene is to ensure the safety of the victim, then the integrity of the scene. He said that is what the arriving officers were trying to do in this case.

Terrance Sims has his first court appearance on April 5th.

Print this article Back to Top