Man accused of shooting Baltimore Police officer turns himself in

BALTIMORE, MD - Baltimore Police held a press conference on Sunday warning Gregg Thomas that they won't stop until he's found; less than an hour later the 34-year-old turned himself in. In that press conference, they labeled Thomas as Baltimore's 'public enemy number one,' and warned that anyone helping to hide him would be charged.

"I don't know why you would up to someone in a car and shoot them multiple times. All I can say is that I do thank God that my officer is still alive. I do thank God that his family will not be without a husband or a dad," said Police Commissioner Anthony Batts.

Police say Thomas turned himself in in front of Central District as they requested Sunday.

"On behalf of all the men and women, it's one less suspect, one less killer on the streets of Baltimore," Commissioner Batts said.

Police say Sergeant Keith McNeill was doing chores Friday night when he was shot multiple times in his car. Commissioner Batts says McNeill cannot talk or communicate, but was able to give a "hearty thumbs up" when asked if he'd be okay.

Commissioner Batts read a statement from McNeill's wife Sunday evening. "I appreciate everyone's prayers, support and the long hours put in to find the man who shot Keith. I love all of just as much as you have showed your love for Keith," he read.

Thomas' mother and sister were also arrested Sunday on outstanding warrants. Police are still looking into whether they could've played a role in sheltering Thomas during the 72 hours the department searched for the accused shooter.

"We're going to go back and trace his footsteps and we're going to find everybody he came into contact with. And like I said, and I am going to be true to my word, anyone who had an opportunity to give him a piece of bread, a car ride, a place for him to lay his head, we're going after them." Commissioner Batts said.

According to police, Thomas was released from jail early in a 2003 murder. He was released last summer.

Police say the 34-year-old didn't say anything when he turned himself in on Sunday.




Print this article Back to Top