Heartbroken family gathers to remember Terrell Smith at scene of deadly hit and run

BALTIMORE - “Father God, we humbly come before you now asking please lift up the family of this young man.”

They gathered on the corner of West Lexington and North Calhoun streets.

"There is sorrow right now, but joy will come in the morning.”

The same corner where Terrell Smith lost his life Monday morning.  Loved one lit candles and leaned on each other for support.

MORE | Family seeks legal advice following a deadly crash that started when an officer spotted erratic car

"There's nothing that he won't do for none of us, and I am just so hurt right now," said Smith’s sister Jenny Payna.

"He didn't bother nobody; he turned his life around,” said Rosalind Smith, his mother.  “Never thought something like this would happen to him."

Smith was driving a maroon car around 9:30 a.m. Monday when police say a blue car plowed into him, injuring two pedestrians and killing Smith.  Investigators said the person behind the wheel ran off. They're still searching for the driver.

A day later, Smith's family is struggling to explain to his 3-year-old daughter where her father is.  They said they want justice for this tragedy.

"He loved his daughter tremendously,” said Smith’s cousin Renee Smith Wortham.  “All I can say is whoever did this please, please come forward and serve justice so my cousin can rest in peace."

Smith's mother said, "I just want them people brought to justice. Didn’t have to take my son like that, he didn't bother nobody, he helped everybody he could."

Smith's mother, overwhelmed with grief, required medical attention for a paramedic during the vigil.

"We never know when our number's going to come.  We need to turn and hug each other to try and bring some unity here together tonight."

Questions still remain about the roll police played in this wreck.  City officers tell ABC2 News they tried to pull over the blue car when they noticed it driving erratically Monday morning. Officials said they broke off the attempt a short time later.  The incident remains under investigation.

Print this article Back to Top

Stay Informed