Baltimore man gets 20-year sentence for murder


Tavon Jamal Johnson, of Baltimore, was sentenced to 20 years in prison Thursday after he pleaded guilty to one count of Second Degree Murder and one count of Use of a Handgun During the Commission of a Felony or Crime of Violence.
Baltimore City Circuit Judge John Addison Howard, who sentenced the 29-year-old Johnson, said the murder and gun charges will run concurrently. 
"Murder on a street corner in broad daylight shows no regard for human life or the safety of innocent bystanders," said Attorney General Doug Gansler. "Thanks to the hard work of police investigators and members of the Gang Prosecution Unit, this dangerous criminal will be taken off the streets."
The case stemmed from a shooting that occurred February 3, 2010 at approximately 9 a.m. at the intersection of Edmondson Avenue and North Pulaski Street in Baltimore, in front of the Soul Source restaurant where several individuals were smoking, talking and walking to or waiting for buses.
The defendant approached the corner where the victim, Juan Tucker, then 34 and also of Baltimore, stood talking with several other people. Johnson said hello and shook hands with several people, then stood with the group for several minutes. Suddenly, and without provocation, Johnson pulled out what was described by witnesses as a silver .38 caliber revolver and shot Tucker five times, first in the back of the head, then in the torso as Tucker fell to the ground. As witnesses and bystanders scattered, the defendant fled the scene taking the murder weapon with him.
Baltimore City Police were initially unable to locate the defendant when they arrived on the scene. At 9:30 a.m., Juan Tucker was pronounced dead at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.
An autopsy conducted by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the death a homicide. A ballistics examination of two bullet fragments recovered from the body of Juan Tucker at Shock Trauma, as well as three recovered during the autopsy, revealed that at least four of the fragments came from the same gun and that all five fragments came from a .38 caliber weapon as reported by two eyewitnesses.
Print this article Back to Top