Vigil held for 4 killed in murder-suicide

Mother received disturbing text

BROOKLYN PARK, Md. - Family and friends of Kelly and Nina Thompson and her 15-year-old twins are doing the only thing that makes sense - pausing to pray.

Candles light the steps leading to the home where the family of four lived for three years.

Anne Arundel County homicide detectives are still trying to figure out what led Kelly Thompson to kill his wife, her two children, and then himself Sunday morning in Brooklyn Park.

Police say officers were called to a home in the 600 block of Wood street at around 9.a.m after a woman received a disturbing text message from her son and went to check on him at his home.

Shortly after officers arrived and while they were talking to the mother outside, they heard a single gunshot from inside the residence.

Lt. J.D. Batten of the Anne Arundel County Police said officers immediately entered the home where they found the body of 33-year-old Kelly Thompson, with a self-inflicted gunshot wound .

They also found the bodies of Nina Thompson, 34, and her twin 15-year-olds, Taishawn and Treshawn Pugh. All had been shot to death.

Police believe the incident was a murder suicide and that the single shot they heard when they arrived was Thompson, who had shot himself.

Neighbor Kevin Fullerton says that Kelly was a truck driver and that he recently landed a new job at a trucking company.  Nina was a nurse.

Fullerton says Kelly "would give you the shirt off his back, he would do anything for you, he would break his neck to wave to you as he came down the street."

Police do not have a motive for the shootings.

Nina Thompson is the mother of the twins Taishawn and Treshawn. Kelly Thompson, the shooter in the incident, is Nina Thompson's husband.

Kelly Thompson is not the biological father of the twins.

Kayla Baynar-Delucca, who rides the bus with the twins to North County High School says the twins that brother and sister always stuck together and that they "were just really cool people to hang out with, they were never rude to anyone."

Funeral arrangements are pending and neighbors plan on holding vigils in front of the Thompson's home every night this week.

Print this article Back to Top