MILLERSVILLE, Md. - A 34-year-old Millersville man was indicted on murder charges after allegedly luring the victim with a Craigslist ad for a car for sale last Halloween.
Anne Arundel County police said Gregory Dontae Lewis, 34, of the 700 block of 738 Cecil Ave. North, is charged with first-degree murder, armed robbery and related charges in the death of Rene Filsfdelfo Leiva-Archila, 44 of Baltimore.
Police said Lewis met Leiva-Archila in on Railroad Avenue in Harmans back on Halloween. It was at that point, police said that Lewis pulled out a gun and tried to rob Leiva-Archila, who was shot and later died at the hospital.
Lewis was located by police Friday in a parking lot in the 7000 block of Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie and was taken into custody without incident.
Police said this case highlights the danger of purchasing an item online from a stranger. They offer the following tips to keep you safe:
Citizens arranging to purchase items online through Craigslist or through other online advertisements should remember the following safety tips:
• Prior to meeting an online seller, get a name and telephone number.
• When responding to a location to buy an online item, park in a high traffic area, preferably during daylight hours and have an adult witness accompany you.
• Prior to meeting the seller, tell family and friends where you are going and the time you plan to meet.
• Keep a cell phone nearby.
• If it seems too good to be true from the beginning, it probably is. Trust your gut.