Dog left in hot car had to be euthanized, owner charged with animal abuse

A woman was charged with animal abuse after police said her dog suffered a heat stroke and had to be euthanized from being left in a car on an almost 90-degree day, according to a release from Anne Arundel County police.

Monifa Pendelton, 44, brought her “sick” 15-year-old Yorkshire Terrier to the Petco pet supplies store in Annapolis on July 1 seeking help for her lethargic dog, according to the release.

STAY INFORMED - Click here  and sign up for our newsletters.

“The woman, later identified as Monifa Pendelton, told employees that she had left her dog "Chloe" inside her vehicle and it became ill,” the release states. “Employees believed the dog was in critical condition and immediately called for police assistance.”

Store employees tried to help Chloe as Anne Arundel County Animal Control personnel were called to the pet store.It was believed that Chloe was suffering from a severe heat stroke.

The Anne Arundel County Police Department wants to remind people to “Take Them With You or Leave Them Home” in reference to your pets and/or children. This time of year is CRITICAL to vulnerable people and pets. We must pay attention and we encourage anyone who sees an animal, child, or vulnerable adult in a closed vehicle on a hot day to call the police immediately.

Police said Pendelton told officers that she “forgot” Chloe in the car for about two hours on a day when temperatures reached 88.8 degrees.  

Chloe was taken to the Anne Arundel Veterinary Emergency Clinic in critical condition.

Veterinary doctors told police that Chloe suffered from “extreme heat exhaustion” or a heat stroke. The dog’s organs were shutting down and her quality of life was quickly degrading. Chloe was euthanized on the doctor’s recommendation.

Police served a warrant on Pendelton’s home on July 2. She was formally charged with animal abuse, depriving an animal of necessary sustenance, among two other related charges.

If convicted on all four counts, Pendelton faces a maximum penalty of 360 days in prison and up to a $4,000 fine. She could also be ordered to seek psychological counseling.