KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The company laying cable outside JJ's Restaurant last week when an explosion leveled the business did not have an approved Kansas City permit for excavation, 41 Action News has learned via an open records request with the city.
EXCLUSIVE: Surveillance video of blast - http://tinyurl.com/a2qe6na
Heartland Midwest LLC was laying fiber-optic cable for Time Warner Cable near the restaurant Tuesday night when somebody hit a gas line, sparking a leak in and around the restaurant.
RELATED | The Plaza fire - One man's images: http://tinyurl.com/bgf2vpn
One person died in the explosion and fire. Several others were injured. The exact cause of the explosion has not been confirmed by Kansas City fire investigators.
RELATED | What are fire department gas protocols? http://tinyurl.com/akdgo7y
41 Action News Investigator Ryan Kath is getting more information on this story and will update this page when more details are available.
RELATED | Diners help support JJ's employees - http://tinyurl.com/bhn2lnq