It should be a simple task, but with some gift returns, there can be some pitfalls.
Consumer Reports says you should review the return policy of the retailer become packing up your gift and taking it back to the counter.
- Have your receipt ready, it makes the process quicker and easier.
- Some store will not take an item back with that.
- If you shopped a store's outlet, your items may not be returnable.
- Sometimes you may have to return a free or bonus gift, if it came with the item you purchased.
- Electronic items can be difficult to return, as most of them come with re-stocking fee.
- You could be charged up to 20 percent if the product is opened.