Wind Advisory issued November 18 at 2:38PM EST expiring November 19 at 12:00PM EST in effect for: Adams, Centre, Clinton, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lycoming, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Potter, Schuylkill, Snyder, Sullivan, Tioga, Union, York
Easter Baskets, chocolate bunnies and decorated eggs are a traditional part of Easter, but the practice of decorating eggshells is an ancient one. Archeologist have discovered ostrich eggs with engraved decorations that date back 60,000 years.
The egg by the numbers:
1) 1 grade a large egg has 72 calories, 6.0 grams of protein, and 13 nutrients.
2) 12 percent of breakfast meals include eggs.
3) An average hen lays about 270 eggs a year and needs about 24 hours to produce an egg. Thirty minutes later, she starts all over again.
4) China produces over 390 billion eggs per year which is over half of the world's supply.
5) There are about 280 million laying hens in the United States. That's about one for each American man, woman, and child.
6) It is believed that many of these hens are direct descendants of the ones brought over on Columbus' ships.
7) Zero is the nutritional difference between brown and white eggs. Only difference is chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs and those with red earlobes lay brown eggs. Did you even know they had earlobes?
8) A freshly laid egg is about 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
9) The Egg McMuffin with egg white has 260 calories compared to 300 for a regular Egg McMuffin.
10) In modern henhouses computers control the lighting, which triggers hen's to lay their eggs.. Most eggs are laid between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m.
11) The "Incredible Edible" egg slogan has been around for more than 30 years.