BELLEFONTE, Pa. - Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky waived his preliminary hearing Tuesday, a decision that moves him toward a trial on charges of child sex abuse and cancels the possibility that he would publicly face his accusers.
The decision, though unexpected, is not unusual in Pennsylvania.
At the hearings, prosecutors must show that they have probable cause to bring the case to trial. Prosecutors in this case were expected to meet that relatively low bar, in part because the case been through a grand jury.
The hearing was expected to last a day or more. Sandusky has denied the allegations, which led to the departures of longtime Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and the university president.
"This development we believe provides maximum protection to most importantly the victims in this case," said Senior Deputy Attorney General E. Marc Costanzo. "It avoids their having to testify for a second time. They will of course testify at a trial in the case."
Sandusky, in a dark suit, entered the county courthouse through the back door Tuesday with his wife, Dottie, at his side. He looked straight ahead, ignoring questions from reporters. Defense attorney Joseph Amendola followed him into the courthouse.
About 50 members of the media and 10 local residents, a few of them waiting with cameras to take pictures, awaited his arrival.
Witnesses have contended before the grand jury that Sandusky committed a range of sexual offenses against boys as young as 10, assaulting them in hotel swimming pools, the basement of his home in State College and in the locker room showers at Penn State, where the 67-year-old former assistant football coach once built a national reputation as a defensive mastermind.
Last month Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas and The New York Times that his relationship to the boys who said he abused them was like that of an extended family. Sandusky characterized his experiences with the children as "precious times" and said the physical aspect of the relationships "just happened that way" and didn't involve abuse.
Sandusky retired from Penn State in 1999, a year after the first known abuse allegation reached police when a mother told investigators Sandusky had showered with her son during a visit to the Penn State football facilities. Accusations surfaced again in 2002, when graduate assistant Michael McQueary reported another alleged incident of abuse to Paterno and other university officials.
The grand jury probe began only in 2009, after a teen complained that Sandusky, then a volunteer coach at his high school, had abused him.
Sandusky first groomed him with gifts and trips in 2006 and 2007, then sexually assaulted him more than 20 times in 2008 through early 2009, the teen told the grand jury.
Sandusky founded The Second Mile, an organization to help struggling children, in 1977, and built it into a major charitable organization, headquartered in State College with offices in other parts of Pennsylvania.
Two university officials have been charged with perjury and failure to report suspected abuse -- athletic director Tim Curley and former university vice president Gary Schultz. Their preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday in Harrisburg.
Curley has been placed on leave and Schultz has returned to retirement in the wake of their arrests. The scandal brought down university president Graham Spanier and longtime coach Paterno, who was fired last month.
Associated Press writers Genaro C. Armas in Bellefonte, Marc Levy in Harrisburg and Kevin Begos in Pittsburgh contributed to this story.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)