Here's what you need to know if you're stuck outside during a severe thunderstorm.
According to The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, you cannot be safe outside during a thunderstorm.
But if you are caught outside without safe shelter nearby, the organization offers these tips to reduce risk.
1. Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges or peaks.
2. Never lie flat on the ground.
3. Never use a tree for shelter.
4. Never use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter.
5. Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water.
6. Stay away from objects that conduct electricity (barbed wire fences, power lines, windmills)
7. Under no circumstances should ANY of the above actions be taken if a building or an all-metal vehicle is nearby.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
There is a high impact storm heading to Maryland for Sunday. The Ravens game to be wet, icy, and raw!
I had a chance to visit the a great group of -
There is a lot to get excited about if you are a lover of sky gazing. Astronomers are calling Comet Ison the comet of the century as it heads our way. If all things go as planned you may have quite the show by early next week
Major changes to the weather look to develop as we head into next week. While a blast of cold air will move east bound this weekend bringing the coldest daytime highs since last March to the Mid Atlantic; a series of arctic fronts will line up heading into next week.