CRAB PO’ BOY
Chef Therese Harding
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound lump crab meat, picked clean of shells
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 lightly beaten egg white
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Cayenne pepper to taste
8 Slider Rolls
4 iceberg lettuce leaves
(Whisk together 2/3 cup good mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet pickle,
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon hot sauce)
• In a small heavy skillet, saute onion and bell pepper in butter over moderate low heat, stirring
occasionally, until softened. Empty into a large bowl to cool.
• To the cooled vegetables, stir in scallion greens, mayonnaise, egg, 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs,
Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and salt to taste. Fold in the crabmeat.
• Place the remaining bread crumbs in a small bowl.
• Divide the crab mixture into eight sections and form each section into a 2-inch round cake. Coat with
bread crumbs, wrap the cakes tightly and refrigerate for several hours to set.
• In a heavy deep skillet, heat ¼ inch vegetable oil until hot, but not smoking, and quickly fry cakes until
golden and cooked through, about 2½ minutes on each side. Transfer cooked cakes to a paper-towel
lined dish or a cooling rack to drain and retain their crispness.
• Spread each slider liberally with mustard/mayonnaise mixture. Arrange lettuce on bread and top with crab
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.