Lockheed Martin says it will furlough 3,000 employees on Monday due to the government shutdown.
The big defense contractor said Friday that the number of employees put on furlough will increase weekly if the shutdown continues.
Lockheed Martin's website says there are 531 people employed at the company's Middle River location in Baltimore County. It is unclear how many of those workers will be affected.
Lockheed says the furloughs include employees who are unable to work because the government facility where they perform their work is closed, those whose work requires a government inspection that cannot be completed or the company has received a stop work order.Another defense contractor United Technologies Corp. announced earlier in the week that it will furlough 2,000 employees by Monday and more than 5,000 if the shutdown continues into next month.
Lockheed urged Congress and the Obama administration to find a resolution. The partial government shutdown took effect Tuesday and has idled roughly 800,000 "non-essential" federal workers.
Copyright AP Modified, Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Buy Local Buy Maryland
Buy Local, Buy Maryland is a customer savings club that features locally owned businesses. Card holders can save money by shopping in the stores featured in this exclusive program!
Inside the Baltimore Police Department's watch center is the hub from which city police can view hundreds of crime cameras, pull up street corners and follow suspicious activity sometimes in progress; fancy hardware increasingly complimenting witty software.
ABC2 Investigators uncover Baltimore Police officers making huge amounts of overtime as the agency downplays the total amount spent on OT.
Scripps reviewed dozens of lawsuits and spoke with former insiders who all allege the companies that handle Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s asbestos and pollution claims, wrongfully delay or deny payment to cancer victims...
The Court of Appeals of Virginia is weighing a request for a new trial by a former University of Virginia lacrosse player who was convicted in the 2010 beating death of his ex-girlfriend.