Once again, a Maryland county has landed on the list of America's Richest Counties, according to Forbes magazine. Howard County is ranked 5 out of the top 10.
The average median household income in Howard County is $103,273. Forbes cites its location between Washington D.C. and Baltimore and its excellent school system as reasons why wealthy families move there.
The number one richest county in America is Loudoun County, Virginia. It is one of four counties in Virginia that made the top 10 list and all are concentrated around Washington D.C. Much of the wealth in these Northern Virginia counties comes from government contracts and spending, according to Forbes.
Here are the top 10 richest counties with their median household income:
1. Loudoun County, Virginia - $115,574
2. Falls Church City*, Virginia - $114,409
3. Fairfax County, Virginia - $105,416
4. Los Alamos County, New Mexico - $103,643
5. Howard County, Maryland - $103,273
6. Hunterdon County, New Jersey - $100,980
7. Douglas County, Colorado - $99,198
8. Fairfax City*, Virginia - $97,900
9. Somerset County, New Jersey - $97,440
10. Morris County, New Jersey - $96,747
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
SPECIAL REPORT | Thousands of child care center inspections reports are NOW AVAILABLE. Find out what inspectors founds inside day care centers across the state.
SPECIAL REPORT | When it's out of your hands, when your life is at the mercy of an armed, masked man staring down at you from the barrel of a gun in your own home, you grasp at whatever it is you can control; breathing, composure, or faith.
SPECIAL REPORT | ABC2 Investigator Joce Sterman has reviewed thousands of pages of documents for her Bad Medicine report.