BEL AIR, Md. (WMAR) -
A fire in Bel Air has caused an estimated $150,000 in damage and sent one firefighter to the hospital.
The fire broke out in the 300 block of Locust Lane at about 11:00 p.m. Sunday night when the family Volkswagen Jetta sparked a fire in the garage.
The family was able to escape the flames with their two dogs before firefighters arrived.
First arriving units reported that the garage, attached to a rancher style home was well involved when they got there. It took 40 firefighters about 25 minutes to get the fire under control.
While the fire was contained to the garage area, the home sustained extensive smoke, soot and water damage. The family is being helped by family and neighbors.
The State Fire Marshal says the fire started with a mechanical malfunction within the engine compartment of the Jetta.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.