JARRETTSVILLE, Md. (WMAR) - A 26-year-old man was rushed to a medical center Saturday morning after a traumatic accident with a concrete grinder.
Harford County Fire and Emergency officials say that the accident involved a man who's hand became trapped in a concrete grinder in Jarrettsville.
Rich Gardner, spokesperson for the Harford County Fire Department, reported that the man was transported to a regional specialty center by ambulance for "amputation of three fingers."
The incident took place in the 1300 Block of Cooptown Road in Jarrettsville.
Power tools can be dangerous if used improperly.
ABC2 is working for you with power tool safety tips from the Department of Labor.
The following safety precautions should be used by all power tool users:
- Keep cords and hoses away from heat, oil, and sharp edges.
- Secure work with clamps or a vise, freeing both hands to operate the tool.
- Avoid accidental starting. The worker should not hold a finger on the switch button while carrying a plugged-in tool.
- Tools should be maintained with care. They should be kept sharp and clean for the best performance. Follow instructions in the user's manual for lubricating and changing accessories.
- Be sure to keep good footing and maintain good balance.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.