BALTIMORE - Baltimore City officials are reminding residents that have lost power that portable generators should only be used outside and away from windows or vents. Never use generators inside of homes, garages, basements or any enclosed area.
The warning comes on the heels of several near tragedies in Prince George’s County
Prince George's County fire officials say residents of two homes were sickened by fumes caused by generators and a fire was started in a third home by improper use of a generator.
Department spokesman Mark Brady says about 9 a.m. Sunday, firefighters went to a home and removed a family a five that were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes from a generator placed too close to a fireplace vent on the house's exterior wall. The five were taken to hospitals.
Brady says Saturday night, a resident put a generator on a front porch near an open door and CO fumes sickened the resident, who was treated by paramedics.
Also Saturday night, a generator placed too close to a house ignited a fire. There were no injuries, but damage was extensive.
Copyright AP Modified, Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
SPECIAL REPORT | Thousands of child care center inspections reports are NOW AVAILABLE. Find out what inspectors founds inside day care centers across the state.
SPECIAL REPORT | When it's out of your hands, when your life is at the mercy of an armed, masked man staring down at you from the barrel of a gun in your own home, you grasp at whatever it is you can control; breathing, composure, or faith.
SPECIAL REPORT | ABC2 Investigator Joce Sterman has reviewed thousands of pages of documents for her Bad Medicine report.
More Baltimore City News
A city man and his girlfriend are both in custody after police found a small arsenal of weapons, along with drugs and cash in his home.