BALTIMORE - Investigators with the Baltimore Fire Department say they have determined a cause in a fire that killed five people and injured firefighters last month.
Fire investigators, along with Baltimore Police Department arson detectives, say the cause was combustible materials placed too close to a heat source – a furnace to be exact.
The fire on Denwood Avenue in Northeast Baltimore killed a grandmother and her four grandchildren.
The Baltimore Fire Department is using the finding of the cause of the fire to remind citizens to practice “positive fire safety behaviors” at home.
1) Be sure to have working smoke alarms
2) Have a home escape plan
3) Keep ordinary combustible materials at least three feet heat producing appliances
4) Never store gasoline and other flammable materials inside your home
Officials say if you are in need of a working smoke alarm, you can call 311.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
SPECIAL REPORT | Thousands of child care center inspections reports are NOW AVAILABLE. Find out what inspectors founds inside day care centers across the state.
SPECIAL REPORT | When it's out of your hands, when your life is at the mercy of an armed, masked man staring down at you from the barrel of a gun in your own home, you grasp at whatever it is you can control; breathing, composure, or faith.
SPECIAL REPORT | ABC2 Investigator Joce Sterman has reviewed thousands of pages of documents for her Bad Medicine report.
More Baltimore City News
A city man and his girlfriend are both in custody after police found a small arsenal of weapons, along with drugs and cash in his home.